Its Spring Break Again!

I can not believe that it has been a year since I started this blog!!

Spring break in Arizona is supposed to be in the 80's, but mother nature has other plans!  It is cold and windy, VERY windy outside.  The wind is howling around the windows and there is a chill in the air.... feels more like the onset of winter, but it also means that I don't have to go outside and I can spend the days in front of my sewing machine, that's a good thing!


Spring Break also means that I started my Farmers Wife quilt a year a little over a year ago.  I remember I was wondering what I was going to do over spring break . . .   never did I ever think it would lead to a blog and a lot of new friends!


So much has happened in this past year, but the most important thing is that I have decided to go back to pattern designing again.  A while back, I wrote several mystery quilts for a quilting message board and they were extremely successful and everyone had a great time doing them.

I am in the process of re-writing these mysteries into a single pattern (instead of 6 to 10 clues) and have decided to sell them on Craftsy.  My good friend Karen, who publishes directions to complete the farmers wife blocks, talked me into to it.    It has taken a lot of work, but I think I am getting the handle on it.  I have to take out a lot of instructions, step by step for beginners is how they were written.  The original mystery was written for the basic beginner, re-written, it is now for the intermediate quilter, quite a difference.  Down from 18 pages to just 5!

I have already uploaded my version of the Magic 8 HST method and have been very surprised and pleased with the response I have had!  Thank You!

This week, now that I am off for the next 9 days, will concentrate on getting my first pattern up for sale and completing the directions for "No Fail Mitered Borders"  With these directions, I also hope to have a YouTube video, more on that one in a future blog . . . . .


The pattern that I will be uploading is for "Blue Skies"  It will sell for $7.00 dollars. It measures 67" x 80". It uses the Magic 8 method for HST and also uses my "No fail mitered borders".  Nice size to snuggle up under or will fit nicely on a twin bed with hang over or nicely on a queen bed as a topper.


If you notice, the quilt is not quilted.  This is because my quilt frames will not allow me the space to quilt in the open areas.  My frames will let me stitch up to 18 inches, but my machine will only allow me 9 inches and when I have the quilt all rolled up, as small as 3 inches.. SO, knowing that and knowing that I drive a school bus for a living, leaves me wondering how I can raise the funds for a long arm quilt machine, hens the conversation with Karen and the patterns for sale on Craftsy.

This pattern was created as a mystery quilt and has a lot of room to showcase beautiful quilting, I can't wait to get this one quilted as I have some wonderful ideas for the open spaces.



My next project is one that I designed a little while back, but never did anything with.  I am now writing the directions for this one and will be making the quilt this week. This is an image from EQ7 It is called
 "Red,White and Whirl!"
This pattern will sell for $7 dollars as well and is an intermediate level quilt.  It uses the Magic 8 HST method and my "No fail mitered borders" and, if that is not enough,  you will be making 3 1/2" pinwheels for the centers of the whirling stars!  Quilt measures 57" x 66", nice size to snuggle up under to watch the fireworks.  It will be written to use yardage, but I think it would also be a great scrap buster!

So I have my week full of fun quilts and lots of computer work and best of all, lots of quality time with my sewing machine!

Happy Quilting
Susan


1 comment:

  1. I wish you the best in raising money for a longarm. Our first one was used and fairly old, but so faithful! A good longarm does retain value, so even the used ones don't come cheap. But my husband and I bought it to start a business, and it was a great investment for us.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment