That Ah-ha moment . .at 2 in the morning

Ever wake up at 2 in the morning with an ah-ha moment?  I did and could not go back to sleep, so here I sit, wide awake at the computer when I should be sleeping.  So let me tell you a little story and the background on the ah-ha moment.

Yesterday, I worked all day on the FWQ (Farmers Wife Quilt)  I was ironing fat quarters, hanging them on pants/skirt hangers and making sure they all had their labels.  Did that with no problem.  Started to work with this system, then, as Scooby Do says, Rut Ro.....


I started to pull all of the fabrics that I needed to made for each block.  When I did this, I cut what I needed and then started to make a stack of what needed to go back on the hangers.

I was only at the first 10 of 111 blocks to be cut and I already had a stack of assorted fabrics to put back on the correct hangers. I had created myself extra work, so they sit on my ironing board waiting for that moment of inspiration to rehang fabric, not what I had in-visioned for this project that is going to take me the rest of the year to complete. So after completing the first 3 blocks, I decided that I was done for the day and shut everything down for the evening and as you guessed it, there was a stack of fabric growing on my ironing board to be rehung.


So now we come to the ah-ha moment.  A couple of years back, when I had my on-line store, I came across some fabric organizers from Marie Osmond.  They were on close out, so I bought what they had left, about 25 packages.  They really didn't sell well, so I still had them, but where did I put them? We have moved since that purchase and I have a brand new sewing room and I can't for the life of me remember where I put them.  I knew they were here, but where? That's why I couldn't go back to sleep.  In my mind, I was now searching every corner of my new sewing room.  Finally had to get up and go search.  Took me a few minutes, but I found them!



I have enough and a few extra and was surprised to see that they are still for sale on the web in scrap-booking stores, so if I run out, I can grab another package.  They come 5 to a package and are made out of a thin plastic.  The 'teeth' down the center hold the end of the fabric on the board as you wrap, and there are bands (which I don't have) that are supposed to wrap around the fabric to hold the fabric in place.  Big rubber bands or pins will do the same thing.  So I wrapped all of the fabric around the cards and used curtain rod clips (from an old project) and hung all the fabric on a rod.  Organized and ready to use. 

 (update) I have, since this picture was taken, attached the fabric picture and written the fabric name on the cards and they now sit on the shelf.  Much easier to handle and where the fabric was hanging, now sits my new design wall, but much more on that one in future posts.


Happy Farming!